This morning I made Sasko’s “cinnamon hearts” from their cookbook, live on Expresso Breakfast Show on SABC3. Valentines Day is here, and it’s a great idea to give your loved one some home-baked treats rather than an expensive gift: I wrapped an old coffee tin with textured fabric and a red ribbon, and filled the tin with these cookies.
Enjoy this day of love whether you’re in a relationship or not – it’s the perfect excuse to celebrate with decadent treats!
Ingredients for the dough:
750 ml Sasko cake flour
15 ml baking powder
a pinch of salt
60 ml sugar
80 g butter, cubed
125 ml milk
Ingredients for the filling:
50 g butter, melted
125 ml sugar
15 ml cinnamon
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Add the sugar and cubed butter. Rub in the butter until crumbly (or process in a food processor untill it resembles fine breadcrumbs).
- Whisk the egg and milk together, then add to the dry ingredients. Mix to form a dough, then knead for 5 minutes (the mixture looks very dry at first, but keep on kneading untill it becomes elastic).
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut our heart shapes with a knife or cookie cutter. Place on a lined baking tray, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon (I mixed the sugar and cinnamon before sprinkling).
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before storing in an airtight container.