If there was ever a truly feel-good food, it simply has to be peppermint crisp tart. This fridge tart favourite is a South African classic, and I don’t know a single fellow South African who doesn’t like it.
The beauty of this tart is that it practically requires no skill and no baking: even children can make it. And it doesn’t have to be all neat and beautiful, it can be messy and chunky and it will still taste like a dream! The tart is not for the kilojoule conscious, that’s for sure. But if you like a creamy caramel and minty chocolate desert, this classic peppermint crisp tart will surely be a winner.
- 1 packet Tennis biscuits (square coconut cookies)
- 1 can Nestlé Caramel Treat (or Dulce de Leche, or boiled condensed milk)
- 250 ml cream
- 2 x Nestlé Peppermint Crisp chocolate bars, chopped into rough chunks
- Whisk the cream on high speed with electric beaters untill stiff peaks form. Add the caramel treat and carefully whisk it on low speed untill thoroughly mixed. Do not overmix.
- Arrange one layer of tennis biscuits in the bottom of a square dish (around 20 x 20 cm big and 5 cm deep). No need to grease your dish.
- Pour half the caramel mixture on top of the biscuits, and spread it evenly to fill the corners.
- Sprinkle half of the chopped peppermint crisp chocolate chunks evenly on top of the caramel layer.
- Repeat with another layer of biscuits, caramel mixture, and chocolate chunks.
- Cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for at least 4-6 hours or preferably overnight. The biscuits need time to soften, and the caramel mixture need time to set.
- Serve straight from the fridge.
Easy as pie!